Saturday, September 25, 2010

R.G.'s Motto - "You Cannot Afford to Not Eat With Us!"




I was heading south on Highland in Clearwater looking for someplace where I had never eaten. I decided to pull into the Publix shopping center on the corner of Highland and Belleair and see if there was anything in there. (The physical address is 1565 South Highland.) I stumbled upon a place with a sign in the window that said, "You Cannot Afford Not To Eat Here." I immediately parked and went to check it out!
I was not immediately greeted when I entered, but as soon as the waitress figured out I was there, she was very welcoming and friendly. I sat down and she asked me what I was having to drink. I told her iced tea and she questioned back, "unsweet, sweet, green-tea or raspberry?" I have never been given so many options on iced tea. This was great!

She asked me if I had ever been there and I told her no. She said that it didn't matter what I ordered, that it was all made there and it was all good. I told her it would take me a while as I always have such a hard time trying to find something to order. This is because I am always looking for something unique to tell you about. I do it all for you, baby! She informed me that the daily specials were $6.99 and were served with soup or salad, rolls and dessert. The dessert choices were bread pudding, rice pudding or ice cream. The puddings are home made. There were several different specials; moussaka, pastitsio, gryo and fries, liver and onions, as well as chicken fried steak. I was torn because she told me that the turkey wrap was the best turkey she has ever eaten. I wasn't in the mood for a wrap, though. The menu is filled with options from cold sandwiches, melts, wraps, New York style Grinders to Greek options as well as numerous entree salads. And they are open for breakfast too! There are 4 different benedicts on the menu. Eggs, Southern (sausage gravy), Philly (philly steak and sauteed onions) and Chesapeake Bay (Crab cake and imperial sauce.) I will have to go back and try their breakfast.
I finally decided to have one of the specials. I chose the moussaka, which is a Greek version of lasagna. I couldn't decide between the chicken lemon soup or the split pea, but I went with the split pea. That is the first time in my life I had split pea soup with potatoes in it.


I decided now would be as good a time as any to check out the restrooms. They were spotless and they smelled good. Not sure what kind of air freshener they were using, but it was so fresh and clean. The soap and towel dispenser were both momtion activated. I like that. Less things to touch and pick up funky germs!

Soon afterwards, my lunch was served. I was thrilled with the dinner rolls. They were actually toasted so they were nice and warm and the butter spread so easily on them. Yum! I could live on rolls. But, as my father tried to teach me - "Don't fill up on bread." Sorry, Daddy...I love bread!















Next was the decision of what to have for dessert. I was torn between the bread pudding and the rice pudding. I finally figured that since I make an awesome bread pudding (with rum sauce) I may as well get the rice pudding. "With whipped cream?" "Oh Yes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment