Saturday, June 16, 2012

Noshing on Caribbean Favorites at Island Flavors and Tings

I am back on the trail with the lunch train! I forgot how much fun it is to eat and share my experiences with you!

I am also expanding my husband's palate with many different kinds of food. Most recently, in particular, is the traditional Caribbean taste at Island Flavors and Tings in Gulfport. Located at 1411 - 49th Street South, Island Flavors and Tings is sure to delight and surprise you!  I almost drove past it the first time, so keep your eyes peeled!

We started off with the Jamaican 'hot-peppa' shrimp. "Not for the faint of heart. Shrimp tossed in our own rich spices and lots a scotch bonnet pepper." ($7.95)
Just looking at the picture as I post this already makes me want to go back for more of those shrimp!

As always, I was undecided about my entree and as usual taking too long to order I finally decided on a special combo plate of brown stew chicken [chunks of chicken browned and stewed in a special sauce], curry chicken [chicken, potatoes and vegetables simmered in a thick curry sauce] and the jerk chicken.



  The second thing that we ordered ( so that we could split it up and taste more stuff) was the Tropical Jerk Chicken Salad. "A mixture of green leaf, romaine, radicchio lettuce topped with Island Falvors house dressing, cucumbers, tomato wedges, topped with warm slices of our famous jerk chicken and our award winning mango bread." ($6.95) 
Let me assure you this is not a small salad, this plate was more like a platter! I just love this presentation, though.

After we ate our meals, Helena was telling us about the mango ice cream and jerk pork. They don't have this all of the time, but even though I was stuffed, I just had to try some. Who would have thought that pork and ice cream would go together! (You may want to call before you go to see if it is available.)


Island Tings offers a great assortment of jerk seasonings, hot pepper sauces, Island groceries, tropical chutneys and jams. I love a restaurant where I can shop after I eat!


So go ahead and "Like" them on facebook, email them or call them at 727-327-6416 if you have any questions.  They can accomodate large parties in the restaurant or they can deliver healthy food for your staff meeting right to your door. They are wonderful for all of your catering needs as they provide breakfast, lunches, meeting breaks, office dinners, corporate galas and picnics as well as holiday celebrations.

Don't forget to get your License to Cheat from Tampa Bay Natural Health!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment