Monday, July 4, 2011

Lunch at the almost famous - Ted Peters in South Pasadena
















I think I can say that many people have heard of Ted Peters Smoked Fish. It is almost famous around here; a family owned institution that has been in the same location in South Pasadena(1350 Pasadena Avenue South) for 56 years.















It's a small place--with picnic tables set outside and a few tables inside.


Most of the time it is packed and hard to find a table, but we hit it at just the right time before the crowd arrived! Within 15 minutes every table was full.


The menu isn't very large, so it didn't take long to figure out what to order. Since they are famous for their smoked fish, we had to start with that! It is served with just enough crackers for the serving. ($6.29) We were told by people who ordered at another table that they no longer give crackers for takeout orders. So, if you plan on picking up some fishspread to take home, to a party or to the beach, make sure you pick up some crackers too!




I had to try one of their burgers. I haven't been there in years, but I remembered them having really good burgers. I must say that I was a little disenchanted with the price of the burger. The plain burger is $5.29, cheeseburger is $6.29 and lettuce and tomato are 50 cents. I thought it would be served with something, but what you see is what I received. Live and learn ~ as they say.




We also ordered the mahi-mahi dinner ($14.99) which was served with German potato salad, colesalw, bread and butter, pickle, tomato, sweet onion, lemon. Our server must have forgot about the bread and butter as we did not get any with the meal. By the time she came back around we were already done eating and did not need it. She gave us the check, I asked for some more iced tea and when she brought back the change, she didn't have my iced tea and I didn't want to wait for it.



We decided to go and check out the smokehouse next door. If you just want to pick up some smoked fish, just go there. You don't have to go into the restaurant.



Ted Peter's is a cash only establishment. Click here to see the video from Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives.

No comments:

Post a Comment